Monday, February 14, 2011

The Nun's Quilt



I've been working on 'Nuns playing cards for prayers' and thought I would post picture of it. It is from a picture of a Quebec order of nuns doing exactly that, playing cards. The picture the quilt is based on, is full of colour and the nuns are in red, white and black habits. Beautiful and peaceful.
The quilt is not yet pieced together as you can see white between the squares of crosses. Some of the fabric has the original picture of the nuns playing cards reproduced on it through 'Spoonflower' a very interesting site for designing your own fabric. I'm waiting for some material printed with playing cards to include in some new squares. Each square is about 3 1\2 " square. I will probably get a picture of the nuns reproduced again through Spoonflower to put on the back of the quilt.

2 comments:

  1. I love this new quilt you are working on Louise! Your narratives on your work(s) are so thoughtful and interesting.
    I can't wait to see your spoonflower creation. What do you think of the quality of the fabric they reproduce? I'd like to try it out too!
    Flora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flora, While Spoonflower is fun to use, the quality is a bit erratic. It is best used with a design that has a lot lighter colours. On the dark designs the colours are absorbed by the material and this detracts from the design. I've never tried any other type of material other than quilting cotton, perhaps some of the other types would be more successful. Happy you like 'the Nuns'.

    ReplyDelete